Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Trimming video on Breis


This past Sunday Christopher, Kathryn, Ezra, and I worked with Breis in the shoeing stock to trim his front feet. My Shoeing Stock is something I have been working on for a long time and I think I am almost there. It's not the best way to handle my oxen but I can't afford to spend the money on a expensive trimming Chute.
I continue to research the internet and look at pictures to try and improve a way to handle Breis and Fryer's feet in order to improve their walk here on the farm. I feel if I don't get this right, Breis and Fryer will not be able to continue to work in the yoke here at Chapel Hill Creamery.  With these aggressive gravel roads, the boys have had too many hoof problem and refuse to work on the roads.
Another idea I am going to be working with is to sample a thin rubber sole and glue them to the bottom of their claws.
If there is anyone out there that has had this experience with the rubber soles, I would love to hear from you. I am interested in learning all I can to take care of my oxen.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Allison! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to watch more feet! And how you get him to place his hind feet up. I've collected shoeing and trimming videos (mostly from Spain) on the Ox Works Galax facebook page.

    ReplyDelete