Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Shoeing Stock

I want to start talking about a shoeing stock I am planning to build for Breis and Fryer. When taking care of oxen or any draft animal, their hooves are at the top of the list. As you have seen in my past blogs, here at Chapel Hill Creamery, we have a tilt table that Breis and Fryer have had their hooves trimmed on before. But I have been looking on the internet at some shoeing stocks that keep the ox standing and allow the work of trimming and shoeing to be done one claw at a time. This is good because on trimming tables that turn cattle on their side require you to have to work quickly as to get them standing as soon as possible. It isn't good for ruminants (animals with four stomachs) to be on their sides for a long period time.
I have started gathering the materials and will be taking some pictures as I go along. I will be able to work on it some today and blog about it tonight if I get the time.
I want to wish all of you a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving and if you are off tomorrow get those draft animals working : - )

No comments:

Post a Comment